Ten Healthy Habits at Home
By Jean Sumner
It can be easy to develop healthy habits that you can just do around the house. Let’s explore the possibilities.
1) Snack well-most of us define snacks as things like chips, pastries and crackers. Let’s think about this for a minute. In most cases the need to snack is your body telling you that it needs nutrition. When your car is low on gas you wouldn’t put water in the gas tank would you? Well your body is low on gas so you need to give it a snack that is very nutritious. Examples would be raw nuts, organic fruits and vegetables, organic dried fruit, organic trail mix. Celery with almond butter, vegetables with hummus and the list goes on. Give your body nutrition and your performance will improve!
2) Exercise-there are many ways you can get exercise around the house. A lot of your normal activities around the house are actually exercises. Cleaning, doing laundry, gardening, yard work etc. are all are forms of exercise. Challenging yourself to pick up a room as fast as you can or mow the lawn as fast as you can, will enhance the benefit of this exercise. Have a set of weights next to the chair you sit in when you watch TV, challenge yourself to lift weights during the commercial. Listen to a motivational CD and dance in your living room. As you can see there are many ways to get exercise when at home.
3) Sleep-this is one of the most important healthy habits you can develop. We need 8-10 hours of sleep per day. Are you getting that much sleep? Review your bedroom, the only thing that should happen in your bedroom is sleep (and lovemaking!). It should be as dark as possible, no lights from the clock, the phone, light switches or radios. You should go to bed at the same time every evening and wake up the same time each morning. And remember that the value of sleep prior to midnight is 4 times as valuable as sleep after midnight.
4) Turn off the TV-people in the U.S. watch way too much TV. It can be great as a learning tool, however often it is just on and we end out watching what is on without conscious choice. Some people just have it on for company. Remember, your life is a result of what you think, so if you are listening to the TV for company you may have stinking thinking which will result in a stinky life. You would be much better off listening to uplifting music. This way you will be motivated and have much more positive thinking.
5) Meditate-I know you are thinking meditation is a little strange. But developing this habit at home will change your life. Meditation helps us handle stress and in this modern world stress affects everyone. Stress is a major cause of disease in this world. Start with only five minutes per day, sit in a comfortable chair and focus on your breathing. You will be amazed how good this will feel. If you want to be really radically, do this more than once a day.
6) Eat more vegetables-more and more research shows that vegetables have the power to strengthen the immune system which will keep you healthy. You can easily add vegetables to your life at home. For breakfast add vegetables to your eggs, drink vegetable juice or make a smoothie with fruits and vegetables. For dinner have two vegetables with your meal, eat vegetarian a few nights per week, and sneak vegetables in to your main dish. You can add grated carrots to your meat loaf, or do a stir fry with a small amount of meat and lots of vegetables. Not only will this improve your health it will also help your budget.
7) Read-I bet you didn’t expect to see reading as a healthy habit. Taking the time to read is very relaxing and it puts you in a different world which takes a lot of stress away.
8) Journal-spending a few minutes each day to write down your thoughts is another way to eliminate stress in your life. Start slowly; write a sentence or two about how you feel. Put your journal in a place that you will see it so you can remember to write. You want to add as many things as you can into your life that helps release stress.
9) Learn-this goes along with reading, learning will put you in a different place. Your focus will be on the thing you are learning rather than the difficulty of the day. This too will help with stress.
10) Love-the most significant healthy habit you can develop. Learn to send everyone and everything in your life some love. This eliminates all stress. Just think how good it feels to pet your dog or cat, this is just pure love and it eliminates stress. Practice sending love to others, it will make you feel awesome!!!
Jean Sumner has pursued an interest in wellness her entire life. An avid runner, she is passionate about exercise, eating healthy and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.Jean was diagnosed with cancer in May, 2009 this only served to fuel the flames of her passions and encouraged her to learn more about wellness. This diagnosis actually led to the beginning of World Wellness Education with a mission of “Teaching the world about wellness — one story at a time.”
As Jean pursued alternative methods of treating cancer she met countless individuals who had great stories to tell regarding how nutrition, spirituality and exercise helped them to overcome their various illnesses. Since these stories were moving, motivating and timely she thought that each of these stories may make a difference in others lives. With the knowledge that we learn from stories more quickly than other teaching methods an organization was born in hopes to make a difference in the well being of every individual on the planet.
This information is not meant to be medical advice. No action or inaction should be taken solely on the contents of this information. Instead, you should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to your health and well-being.